What is a Member?
It’s not difficult to become a member of 2nd Saintfield. Anyone who enjoys worshiping with us and wishes to formalise a connection with the congregation is welcome to become a member. Membership is open to all. A person need not be a professing Christian to become a member.
What is a Communicant?
A communicant is a person who is able and willing to make a public profession of their faith in Jesus Christ, and is willing to make significant promises committing themselves to Christ’s people in a local congregation. There are a number of advantages to being a communicant:
- It identifies you as a genuine believer
- It provides a spiritual family to support and encourage you in your walk with Christ
- It gives you a place to discover and use your gifts in ministry
- It places you under the spiritual protection of godly leaders
- It gives you the accountability you need to grow
As communicants have made a public profession of their faith in Jesus Christ and have promised commitment to this local congregation it is entirely appropriate that they should carry responsibility for that local congregation.
When the congregation is faced with major decisions, such as appointing new committee members, new elders, or even a new minister, it is the communicants of the church who will vote on such matters. For this reason, communicants are sometimes referred to as “voting members.”
How do I become a Communicant?
- By profession of faith for those who have not previously been communicants in another church;
- By reaffirmation of faith for those who have previously been communicants in other denominations;
- By transfer with disjunction certificate for those who have previously been communicants in another Presbyterian congregation;
To become a communicant you should speak to the minister. He will invite you to attend a short preparation course that includes teaching on:
- What is a Christian?
- The Church, The Bible, Prayer
- Serving God
- Giving to God
- Sharing the Good News
Towards the end of this course you will be able to decide whether this is the appropriate time for you to become a communicant at 2nd Saintfield. All those who complete the course and decide to proceed will be introduced to the Kirk Session. With the Kirk Session’s approval you will then be welcomed as communicants at our communion service.
Do you believe in one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; and do you confess Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord?
Do you promise to join faithfully with your fellow–Christians in worship on the Lord’s Day and to be faithful in reading the Bible and in prayer?
Do you promise to give a fitting proportion of your time, talents and money for the Church’s work in the world?
Do you promise, depending on the grace of God, to confess Christ openly, to serve him in your daily occupations and to walk in his ways all the days of your life?